The Early Development Fund supports the development of scripts, that have the potential to make great New Zealand feature films.
What we fund
The early development of feature film scripts.
- Grant up to $25,000 per application
- Up to a total amount of $60,000 per project.
Who can apply
New Zealand producers, writers, directors or writer/directors who meet the EDF Experience Threshold.
Applications can be made either as an individual or as an individual representing a company.
When to apply
Applications close at 1pm on the following deadlines:
- Monday, 20 March 2023
- Tuesday, 29 May 2023
- Monday, 7 August 2023
- Tuesday, 16 October 2023
How to apply
Please read the Early Development Fund Guidelines and the Early Development Fund Submission checklist before registering for an account to apply online at https://funding.nzfilm.co.nz/.
You can invite team members who also have an account to collaborate on the application.
What you need
- Creative material - including a script or treatment
- Team vision - statements from the key creatives
- Background – history of the project, and any other projects you have with the Film Commission
- Budget and timeline
- Key personnel – bios of key people
- Te Rautaki Māori - If your project has Māori content, provide details of relevant consultation or engagement with Māori.
- Rights – confirmation that you have the rights to develop the script or treatment.